Fundamentals of Nonlinear Optics
Fundamentals of Nonlinear Optics encompasses a broad spectrum of nonlinear phenomena from second-harmonic generation to soliton formation. The wide use of nonlinear optical phenomena in laboratories and commercial devices requires familiarity with the underlying physics as well as practical device considerations. This text adopts a combined approach to analyze the complimentary aspects of nonlinear optics, enabling a fundamental understanding of both a given effect and practical device applications.
The book is a pedagogical guide aimed at a diverse audience including engineers, physicists, and chemists who want a tiered approach to understanding nonlinear optics. The material is augmented by numerous problems, with many requiring the reader to perform real-world calculations for a range of fields, from optical communications to remote sensing and quantum information. Analytical solutions of equations are covered in detail and numerical approaches to solving problems are explained and demonstrated. The second edition expands the earlier treatment and includes:
- A new chapter on quantum nonlinear optics.
- Thorough treatment of parametric optical processes covering birefringence, tolerances and beam optimization to design and build high conversion efficiency devices.
- Treatment of numerical methods to solving sets of complex nonlinear equations.
- Many problems in each chapter to challenge reader comprehension.
- Extended treatment of four-wave mixing and solitons.
- Coverage of ultrafast pulse propagation including walk-off effects.
Copyright © 2017 from Fundamentals of Nonlinear Optics, Second Edition, by Peter E. Powers and Joseph W. Haus. Reproduced by permission of Taylor & Francis Group, a division of Informa plc. This material is strictly for personal use. For any other use, the user must contact Taylor & Francis directly at this address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Printing, photocopying and sharing via any means is a violation of copyright.
Taylor & Francis
Place of Publication
Boca Raton, FL
Powers, Peter E. and Haus, Joseph W., "Fundamentals of Nonlinear Optics" (2017). Electro-Optics and Photonics Faculty Publications. 63.